Holy cats, it’s 3 days, 2 hours, 25 minutes until NaNo starts, assuming this post takes me 30 minutes to write. Yesterday’s Pep Pack took WAAAAY longer, but I have faith in myself.
Anyhoo, here’s the facts on Kick-Off!
October 31st 4PM-6PM
61 North Avenue NW
Atlanta, GA 30308
If you’re not familiar with The Varsity, the place can be pretty confusing. The most important thing, though, is there is PLENTY of parking. They even have a parking garage! Where it gets dicey is inside. Typically we are in the upstairs area. If you’re looking at the registers, turn right, go up a couple sets of stairs, and you’ll see a large seating area to the left.
This isn’t exactly a reservation type place, though, so no guarantees for that spot. If we’re elsewhere, we’ll do our best to let everyone know via the forums and social media. My hair is ridiculously pink these days and I’ll be wearing gigantic black fairy wings JUST FOR YOU GUYS AND NOT BECAUSE I WANT TO RECREATE MY FAVORITE EYE-GOUGING DRAGON*CON MOMENTS.
The Varsity is cafeteria style, so you’re not obligated to buy anything. That being said, the food is cheap and, as a vegetarian, I can say the fries are good. I’ve heard mostly positive reviews about the hot dogs. They don’t have Wi-Fi and if I remember right, power is an issue. Be prepared to hand write stuff (Eek, I know).
What You Should Bring
You don’t HAVE TO bring anything but yourself. That being said, here are a couple things that will help:
- Three fun facts about yourself that might surprise the group. We’ll be matching each other up to those facts to break some ice. These are for prizes, so make them challenging. But don’t be a dink and make stuff up. Nobody likes a dink.
- Writing prompts/challenges. We’ll be collecting these to post on the Twitter and elsewhere. We’ll be providing paper for it, but if you’re like me and panic trying to come up with ideas on the spot, this is your heads up.
- Some dollar bills. I’ll explain in a moment.
What’s Stayed the Same Since Last Year
- Goody Bags. Different contents but same concept. Stuff got weird this year, so I only ended up with, like, 24. I apologize in advance if we run out. I swear I love you all, but I may end up loving the more punctual WriMos better. Sorry.
- Awkward announcements, pep talks, and ramblings. I don’t do well with speeches. Feel free to yell at me if it gets bad.
- Cake. This is how I shall make up the potential goody bag shortage and barely organized chaos.
- Random writing activities that may or may not help with your story.
What’s Changed Since Last Year
- The raffle. We normally have a bunch of random things to give out, but things didn’t pan out this year. To make it up to you, I’ll be doing a 50/50 raffle. If you’re unfamiliar with this, I’m going to collect dollar bills. You’ll write your name on the ones you donate. When we’re done with collections, I’ll draw one. If it’s yours, you’ll win half the money. The other half will be donated to NaNoWriMo!
- Pep Packs. We’ll be selling them for $2 a pop and have coloring supplies on hand for you to decorate your post cards while everyone’s getting settled in. Since I won’t have shipping/PayPal fees to cover, $1 from each sale will go into the 50/50 raffle. See the link mentioned at the top of this post for more details.
You Said There Will Be Prizes, But Then You Said There’s No Prize Raffle. I’m Confused.
This is all I have for you. I’m sorry. MAYBE some NaNoLanta 2015 stickers, but the delivery date is saying November 1st. If they come early, awesome, but I’m not holding my breath.
One of those says WORD PIZZA. Just accept it and move on.
Did I forget anything? There’s a thread for that on the forums.
3 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes, people.